Monday 27 May – Friday 31 May 2019
In-school contemporary Indigenous dance workshops are available in term 2 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from select local high schools. Facilitated by an early career contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander dancer and educator from NAISDA Dance College, the program includes dance-making and choreography. Workshop approaches break down the principles of dance to show that anyone can dance and everyone does dance.
The workshops are designed to be relevant and appealing to young, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who may not necessarily be studying dance.
- Learn exercises demonstrating contemporary dance, hip-hop and Indigenous movement
- Link dance to students’ relevant interests (eg. sports, culture, pop music, social media & dance forms)
- Fuse more traditional aspects of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander dance styles with elements of contemporary dance and popular hip-hop
- Compose dance styles into a routine to perform at completion of workshop
- Inspire and motivate students through a fun, energetic class for experienced dancers as well as beginners with an interest in learning new skills
Please contact Edwina Hill for more information, or alternative booking processes
Edwina Hill | Education Officer
(02) 4645 4298 (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri)
Bookings: Online bookings close 12 April, but dates are booking out quickly – please get in early to avoid missing out.
Duration: 4 hours
Students: Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander students in Years 7 – 12